You’re a marketing professional with at least 5+ years of working experience in a consultant or strategy role working with complex organizations. Maybe consultancy-side. Maybe agency-side. Maybe client-side. Maybe a mixture.
If you come from the consultancy-side, you’ve been working with clients to help them become more strategic, nimble, and relevant. You’ve identified opportunities and put business cases together for new ventures and strategies. You’ve been involved in making strategy stick and helping clients work in a more effective way. You’re thorough in your approach and able to tell a clear, compelling, and impactful story to help others understand your work. You’re a skilled facilitator who quickly gains the trust of marketing leaders. You can design and lead a killer workshop that is focused on practice but grounded in theory and expertise. And you are an exceptional listener with an empathetic approach to supporting your clients and colleagues.
If you come from the agency world, you’ve been focused on setting the strategy that leads to a successful engagement. You’ve worked with clients who operate in complexity and you have been influential in bringing clarity and simplicity to their organizations. You’ve had titles that might have included the words “strategist” or “planner” or “account manager”. You’ve worked across various channels and you aren’t too married to any mode of execution, although you may have deep expertise in one or more specialist areas (marketing, analytics, research, brand, digital). Before jumping into action, you think deeply about the big picture: the audience, the brand, the needs of the business. The wider customer experience. You’re also great at building relationships with senior stakeholders and earning their trust.
If you come from the client-side, you’ve got a reputation as change maker. You are known as a strategic thinker who takes the time to understand the context before jumping into action. You’ve resisted formulaic and cumbersome approaches to process management and opted instead to spend time understanding how work is made, how teams are structured to succeed, and what joy looks like in the workplace. You’ve served as “the glue”—rallying diverse specialists in service of a larger problem. At this point in your career, you’ve managed a team—but you are not too disconnected from the work itself. You’re naturally customer-centric and you’ve got an uncanny knack for gaining permission from your higher-ups to shake things up and try new things.
Whatever your background, you’re a big believer in marrying business needs and customer needs. You’re up to speed on modern approaches to operationalizing strategy. You are resistant to hype and bright shiny objects. Your favourite question is “why” but you get very quickly to many possible “hows”.
Your mindset is agnostic and open-minded, strategic, and thoughtful. You’ve got a knack for working your way through thorny problems and making complex things simple. And your words and your actions are congruent – you don’t just talk the talk, but also walk the walk.
About the Role
As a Consultant, Marketing Strategy you’ll work in close partnership with clients and teams—a step removed from the usual agency domain of execution. You’ll focus instead on deeper questions, helping senior clients and teams build new capabilities and create an environment where great work can happen.
You’ll work with a diverse mix of clients solving a wide range of interesting problems, big and small. Problems related to both marketing strategy and operations such as:
- “We need a clear perspective on who our core customers are, what their unmet needs are, and how we plan to serve them.”
- “We need help getting the right product to market fit for a new product or service and help with identifying the requirements needed to meet customer needs and opportunities.”
- “My team needs coaching and training to level up in their marketing strategy capabilities.”
- “I need to shift my marketing strategy, capabilities, and team to match a shift in business strategy.”
- “I need to improve and simplify our team processes so we’re working in a smarter way that keeps us focused on our customers and strategy. ”
- “I need a better and more impactful way to do our annual and quarterly marketing planning.”
- “We need to bridge internal silos to reduce friction and improve quality.”
- “We need to better align multiple agencies and vendors.”
- “We need to improve how we are tracking and measuring our activity to highlight stronger insights, learn faster, and report results more clearly.”
- “We need to adopt agile methods to create more continuous improvements.”
- “I need a fresh perspective on our brand, our competitors, and opportunities to win in the marketplace.”
- “I need help sharpening my brand strategy to differentiate us in the marketplace and provide a north star for our team.”
- “I need make sure my content is relevant to my audience and cuts through the noise.”
You’ll be challenged beyond your comfort zone routinely. You’ll work together with the Partners at Modern Craft and with other consultants. But as a Consultant and project lead, you’ll have the autonomy to craft and own the solution and will bring a change-management mindset to drive your projects to success. You will have the opportunity to stretch outside of your comfort zone and wear many hats. And you’ll enjoy working with people with distinct approaches.
Why choose Modern Craft?
As owners and workers in our own company, the four of us have chosen to operate our business in a way which feels fair, kind, ethical, and fun. We live by these values and expect the same from our whole team. We genuinely care about our staff and each other. If you come to work for us, you can expect:
A culture where you can thrive
At Modern Craft, we are intentional about building a culture of support, openness and trust. You can expect an environment with a high degree of collaboration and camaraderie, regardless of your title or background.
A place where you can truly be yourself
We support diversity and inclusion. We don’t all come from underrepresented backgrounds, but we share the same vision of human dignity for all. So come as you are. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A place where you can learn and grow
You can expect a high degree of personal and professional growth when you work here. We have programs in place for career growth, ongoing feedback, and training. And because you’ll be working alongside the Partners in the business, you’ll receive hands on mentorship and support.
A business you can make a difference in
We are a small business, but a mighty one. We’ve been around since 2014. We’ve had to change with the times and we continue to be open to change. We will listen to you and you’ll have a unique opportunity to contribute to our growth, put your personal stamp on our business, and shape our shared future together.
We are based in Vancouver, Canada. And while this position is remote, you’ll be expected to work at least six hours a day in Pacific Standard time to allow for collaboration with our team and with our clients.
This position is open to those residing in Canada only.
For a full time employee we’ll provide the following in return:
- You will earn a salary that is competitive with the industry.
- You will be eligible for a company bonus annually.
- You will be provided the tools, technology, and the environment you need to be productive and collaborative remotely.
- You will receive extended healthcare and dental benefits.
- You will receive an annual stipend to support your wellness, physical, and mental well-being.
- You will receive an annual training grant.
- You will receive 3 weeks vacation.
- You will have additional paid time off for your birthday and the end-of-year holiday week.
- You will have paid sick leave.