You’re a UX designer, able to take a combination of requirements and hands-on experience to translate the results into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes. You can always see the larger picture. But you also understand that small details are key to creating cohesive user experiences across platforms. You have a passion for understanding user needs and are confident in designing and leading discovery activities in order to inform user experience, designs, and to validate concepts. Most importantly, you are a champion of the user, leveraging requirements you’ve collected to ensure a user-centric approach.
About the Role
You’ll work in close partnership with internal leaders to help bring a product vision to life. We are looking to start with a 1 month, full-time contract with options to extend for several more months. You will engage with internal stakeholders to learn about, explore, and ultimately design a user experience for what will eventually become a product.
The work will be related to producing product mockups:
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Facilitate the product vision by researching, conceiving, sketching, prototyping and user-testing experiences for digital products.
- Design card sorting and content blocking activities, internal workshops and interviews to validate and test design and content concepts.
- Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, user journeys and mockups.
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions.
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core functions and features.
- Take a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- Ask smart questions, take risks and champion new ideas.
- Work in an agile/Lean UX environment with confidence.
About the You
The right UX Design candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of experience.
A strong design portfolio that exemplifies a thoughtful approach to communicating concepts and interactions visually.
- A desire to learn as much about the motivations and behaviors of the people who use your services as you can.
- A love of experimentation, insights, and iteration as part of the design process.
- A strategic mindset that values clarity and focus.
- Able to zoom out and view your work in the larger business and customer context.
- A deep understanding of underlying web technologies and usability principles across desktop, touch, and mobile platforms.
- Proven experience organizing and facilitating UX activities such as experience mapping and requirements gathering.
- In-depth knowledge of design thinking, user experience principles, and user-centered design practices.
- Expertise in design software (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Adaptability to change as new opportunities and problems present themselves.
And possess these attributes:
- Sense of humour
Why choose Modern Craft?
As owners and workers in our own company, the four of us have chosen to operate our business in a way which feels fair, kind, ethical, and fun. We live by these values and expect the same from our whole team. We genuinely care about our staff and each other. If you come to work for us, you can expect:
A culture where you can thrive
At Modern Craft, we are intentional about building a culture of support, openness and trust. You can expect an environment with a high degree of collaboration and camaraderie, regardless of your title or background.
A place where you can truly be yourself
We support diversity and inclusion. We don’t all come from underrepresented backgrounds, but we share the same vision of human dignity for all. So come as you are. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A place where you can learn and grow
You can expect a high degree of personal and professional growth when you work here. We have programs in place for career growth, ongoing feedback, and training. And because you’ll be working alongside the Partners in the business, you’ll receive hands on mentorship and support.
A business you can make a difference in
We are a small business, but a mighty one. We’ve been around since 2014. We’ve had to change with the times and we continue to be open to change. We will listen to you and you’ll have a unique opportunity to contribute to our growth, put your personal stamp on our business, and shape our shared future together.
We are based in Vancouver, Canada. And while this position is remote, you’ll be expected to work at least six hours a day in Pacific Standard time to allow for collaboration with our team and with our clients.
This position is open to those residing in Canada or the US only.