Modern Craft is looking for a full-time USER INTERFACE DESIGNER to strengthen our team in Vancouver, BC.
About Modern Craft
Modern Craft is a marketing consultancy focused on acting as a trusted advisor to leaders and teams—helping them navigate complexity and keep pace with change. We were founded in 2014 by a team of veteran agency leaders who saw a growing need for unbiased, expert advice on strategy, operations and technology. Our unique team combines the business acumen, strategic chops and big picture thinking of a large consulting firm with the creative instincts and practical know-how of an agency.
Our business is grounded in our values:
- Above & Beyond
Quality matters. We’ve got high standards and it shows. Every project counts, no matter how small. Whatever problem we’re tackling, we go beyond the brief. Beyond the S.O.W. And beyond the obvious answers.
In an industry full of posturing, puffery and hidden agendas, we strive to be sincere, impartial and unbiased. We value honesty and kindness. We show up every day as real people with real points-of-view—flaws and all.
We believe in taking the time to pause and reflect. We care deeply about our clients—who they are and what they’re trying to achieve. We tackle their problems from multiple angles—pulled deeper by empathy and curiosity.
Our beliefs are idealistic. But as we work to put those beliefs into practice, we’re grounded in a clear-eyed assessment of what’s practically possible. We’re also nimble and flexible—untethered by rigid concepts or processes. Able to adapt on the fly and rise to challenge.
You’re a strategically-minded UI designer with a passion for user experience. You love bringing experiences to life through visual design and prototyping.
In this role, you’ll oversee your design projects from conception to delivery. You clients will be a diverse mix so you’ll have an opportunity to solve a wide-range of interesting problems big and small. You’ll also support Modern Craft with our own internal design projects and branding.
You’ll be a part of a team, often working in close partnership with client leaders and teams to solve complex problems with strategists and other designers. You’ll work with a diverse mix of clients solving a wide range of interesting problems, big and small.
You’ll be challenged and pushed beyond your comfort zone routinely. Some travel will likely be involved.
The work will be highly varied:
- Improving on the user friendliness in digital products.
- Identifying design problems and devising elegant solutions.
- Representing our brand competently and consistently throughout all our deliverables.
- Always striving to elevate all work to a high quality.
- Prototyping designs for client demonstration and user testing.
- Staying up-to-date with industry developments and tools.
- Conducting and participating in research, sketching, and user-testing experiences for digital products.
- Conducting and participating in stakeholder, internal and customer workshops and interviews to validate and test design and content concepts.
- Collaborating with other team members and stakeholders.
- Asking smart questions, taking risks and championing new ideas.
- Working in an agile/Lean UX environment with confidence.
The right UI Design candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of proven work experience as a Designer or similar role client or agency-side.
- A strong design portfolio that exemplifies a thoughtful approach to communicating concepts and interactions visually.
- Proficiency with design software (e.g. Sketch & Adobe Suite).
- Strong aesthetic skills with demonstrated use of colour, type & scales, and grid layouts.
- Attention to visual details.
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team.
- A Degree in Design, Visual Arts or relevant field would be considered a bonus
- A desire to learn as much about the motivations and behaviors of the people who use your services as you can.
- A love of experimentation, insights, and iteration as part of the design process.
- A strategic mindset that values clarity and focus.
- Able to zoom out and view your work in the larger business and customer context.
- Adaptability to change as new opportunities and problems present themselves.
And possess these attributes:
- Sense of humour
- Not an a**hole
What we’ll provide in return:
- A place there everyone acts with integrity and humility
- Competitive salary
- Extended Healthcare and Dental benefits
- Office perks such as birthdays and the Christmas break off
- A program for career growth, feedback and training
- Annual training grant
- No one cares if you need to leave the office early once in a while
- You’ll sit in a nice Herman Miller chair in a custom-designed office with a beautiful-view, surrounded by good people
Modern Craft supports diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.