You’re a strategically-minded UX designer, able to conceive and conduct user research, interviews and surveys, and translating the results into sitemaps, user flows, customer journey maps, wireframes, mockups and prototypes. You can always see the larger picture. But you also understand that small details are key to creating cohesive user experiences across platforms. You have a passion for qualitative research and are confident in designing and leading user interviews, workshops, and card sorting activities in order to inform user experience, designs, and to validate concepts. Most importantly, you are a champion of the user, leveraging research you’ve collected or conducted to ensure a user-centric approach.
The work will have highly varied:
• Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
• Facilitate the client’s product vision by researching, conceiving, sketching, prototyping and user-testing experiences for digital products.
• Design card sorting and content blocking activities, executive and internal workshops and interviews to validate and test design and content concepts.
• Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, user journeys and mockups optimized for a wide range of devices and interfaces.
• Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions.
• Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features.
• Take a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
• Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
• Ask smart questions, take risks and champion new ideas.
• Create and conduct research using both primary and secondary sources.
• Work in an agile/Lean UX environment with confidence
• Perform simple design tasks for other mediums.
The right UX Design candidate will have:
• 3-5 years of experience.
• A strong design portfolio that exemplifies a thoughtful approach to communicating concepts and interactions visually.
• A desire to learn as much about the motivations and behaviors of the people who use your services as you can.
• A love of experimentation, insights, and iteration as part of the design process.
• A strategic mindset that values clarity and focus.
• Able to zoom out and view your work in the larger business and customer context.
• A deep understanding of underlying web technologies and usability principles across desktop, touch, and mobile platforms.
• Proven experience organizing and facilitating UX activities such as experience mapping and usability testing.
• In-depth knowledge of design thinking, user experience principles, usability testing, user-centered design practices and web tracking metrics tools.
• Expertise in design software (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
• Adaptability to change as new opportunities and problems present themselves.
And possess these attributes:
• Sense of humour
• Not an a**hole
About the Role
• You’ll work in close partnership with client leaders and teams to solve complex problems alongside strategists and other designers from the Modern Craft team. You’ll bring experiences to life for clients through visual design and prototyping. You’ll be asked to flex your design skills across web, documentation and print. You’ll be challenged and pushed beyond your comfort zone routinely. Some travel will likely be involved.
What we’ll provide in return:
• Competitive salary
• Healthcare benefits
• Annual training grant
• Attendance and contribution to Modern Craft culture and events
• No one cares if you need to leave the office early once in a while
• You’ll sit in a nice Herman Miller chair, in a newly designed office, surrounded by good people
• An opportunity to help a small, but impactful business grow to another level
Modern Craft supports diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.